The origin of the Eglinton and Caledon Hunt began as an offshoot of the Toronto and North Hunt, founded as the Toronto Hunt in 1843. In 1919, George W. Beardmore, MFH of the T. & N.Y. Hunt, set up at his own expense an elaborate facility for horse sports, which included a second pack of hounds, on a property located at the corner of Eglinton and Avenue roads, at that time open countryside. By 1929 this establishment had come to be known as Eglinton Hunt Club but did not achieve recognition by the Masters of Foxhounds Association of America until 1934. A centre for horse shows, races, hunting and social activities, it also was the home of the first Canadian branch of the Pony Club. The Club House still stands, recognized as a heritage site by the Toronto Heritage Foundation.
In September 1939, Eglinton Hunt Club was reformed under the name of Eglinton Hunt. An arrangement was made with St. Andrews Golf Club, located in Hogg’s Hollow just north of the City, to share the premises until a more permanent location could be acquired. During the difficult years of World War II Terry Morton kept hunting alive by carrying the horn.
In 1945, the Leslie Street and Cummer Street property was acquired. New kennels were built, and farmhouse converted to a clubhouse. A broken leg suffered by Morton resulted in Maj. Charles Kindersley hunting the hounds, a position he held for 25 years.
By 1960, Toronto was encroaching on hunting land. A year later, at the Annual Meeting, it was recommended that the Hunt accept the invitation of the Caledon Riding and Hunt Club to relocate on their 100-acre property in the Caledon Hills. It was decided to blend the names of the two organizations by renaming the Hunt as the Eglinton and Caledon Hunt. By 1963 the kennels and accommodation for the huntsman had been built and the hounds were moved into their new quarters. The Eglinton and Caledon Hunt remains at the Caledon Riding Club site to this day.
The Hunt is greatly indebted to those who have dedicated their time and expertise to the sport. This includes the long-term masterships of Brig. F.C. Wallace (18 years), Lt.-Col. G. Allan Burton (21 years), H. Charles Armstrong (22 years), Gustav Schickedanz (26 years|) and Maj. Charles Kindersley (42 years).
Further historical information can be obtained from the publication “75 Years. The Eglinton and Caledon Hunt.”